Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My First Passover Meal

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Maybe not my "first" meal, but my first time cooking an entire Passover seder. The only dish I used a recipe for were the Matzo Balls (not the soup part) which was found on the back of the Matzo Meal container. Go me.

The Chicken
Cover your chicken with mayonnaise and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook in the oven at 450 degrees, 15 minutes per pound.

 The Horoset
Combine chopped apples, pecans, cinnamon, grape juice (I used the sugar free kind), a little drizzle of agave, and a little addition of horseradish. Leave cold. 


The "Potato" Pancake
Mix shredded butternut squash, chopped chives, an egg, Matzo Meal (or flour), and some salt in a bowl. Add a little bit of olive oil (or vegetable oil to get more of a fry) to your pan and let cook for about 5 minutes on each side on high heat (or until cooked throughout).


The Matzo Ball Soup
I don't have the recipe off the top of my head of the Matzo Balls, but you can find it on the back of the Matzo Meal container. For the soup, I boiled 3 cans of low sodium chicken broth and added cut up carrots, celery, and onions to the mix and let sit for about an hour to soften the vegetables. Then, I added the Matzo balls.


I have to say it is fun to cook without recipes and just experiment. Both of my parents had their favorite dishes: My dad, the soup and my mom surprisingly, the butternut squash "potato" pancakes. My favorite was the horoset, the apple mixture. Perhaps this is something I make other than on Passover.

Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply